Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 2 - eBooks and Audiobooks


Your library and eBooks and Audiobooks:

I haven’t jumped on board with as many audiobooks. One year I bought a bunch of paperback books with CD’s through Scholastic Book Club. I focused on buying books that had to do with the holidays each month. SBC usually does a bundle and I would buy that with my funds or with scholastic points. I put them in hanging bags from Demco and teachers can check them out. They tend to use them in their listening stations. I have used them for class lessons and when I am not feeling well or for a sub. I like that they have questions on the second track too.

I like to think I have a healthy eBook collection for a Primary school. We do have a Follett Shelf and I won a grant in Fall 2013 to buy a bunch of Interactive eBooks  with Digital Content Creation Tools through Gareth Stevens and Rosen Publishing. They are all science based and require a student to create a report on what they learned.

If you would like to take a peek at our Follett Shelf here is the link MNP Follett Shelf

I love how the books give students a choice of the type of project they want to create and then walk the students through the process. There are also royalty free images there for students to choose from and drop in their report. The end project can be printed out.

We also have 6 Nooks. I leave those out during check-out time. Once a student has their books checked out they may take one of the shelf and read 1 book. Then they have to put it back. Before putting them out I did a mini-lesson on how to use one.

Last year I held an eBook in-service and the reception was fantastic. I had 22 teachers come. I haven’t had a chance to really walk them through the new Interactive eBooks with Digital Content Creation tools but I need to do that soon. I do think that teachers do tend to forget about them so whenever a teacher comes to me asking to pull materials on a topic I let them know what we have available digitally too.

I also sent a letter home to parents telling them about what we had available. I also gave them the usernames and passwords so they could access them from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment