Friday, February 7, 2014

Day 8 - Professional Read

Tell about a professional read that has had an impact on you.


Earlier this week I came across this “1st Grade CCSS Research Report: A Case Study”

It is basically talking about how writing teacher Darcy Pattison helped a first grade class work on writing a research report over a 2-week period. These are some of the things that popped into my head after reading it.
-         - As a librarian I see “research report” and automatically start thinking about collaboration and how I could be helpful.
-         - As a Writer's Workshop teacher I am intrigued by the writing component of the project. I wonder if this is something I could work with my first grade group on, especially since I see them 4 out of the 5 school days.
      - I also think about how young students CAN and NEED to do research.

The article has some great details and information including books that were read, a few student samples and a “What we would do differently the next time” section.

You can never go wrong with a subscription to Library Sparks magazine either. Here is a link that gets you a 1-year subscription (9 issues) for $39.95.

No comments:

Post a Comment